|The shirt is from our first race, the photo from 2012 race|
This year we are geared up to run the Toys for Tots turkey trot in Newport News, Virginia. This local race is offered at a nominal charge of $25 and that includes a long sleeve t shirt! We consider this race extra special since it is the kick off for the Marines annual angel tree toy drive. They encourage all the runners to bring a toy and we feel this is a nice way to honor Thanksgiving and the blessings that we have as a family.
Here are 10 great turkey trot race options that I found from a simple search on the internet:
1. TXU Energy Houston Turkey Trot: This race has around 15,000 runners and offers a 5k, 10k and a kid's race. Perfect for families with all the race distances.
2. Tampa Bay Times Turkey Trot : Held in Clearwater, Florida a 5k wingding, 10k turkey trot, 1 mile gobbler, and Clearwater challenge (running all 3 races) are your choices. The price is reasonable and this race is in it's 36th year.
3. Atlanta Half Marathon: Several distance races are offered including a Thanksgiving Day 5k, Mashed Potato mile race for kids, and the Gravy Gallop for the whole family. The option of a half marathon could be great as there would be no guilt eating anything and everything at the Thanksgiving day dinner table!
4. Troy New York Turkey Trot: Held for the first 67 years ago, this turkey trot started with just 6 runners. They now offer 4 races including a competitive 5k and 10k, and a One Mile Walk and Grade School Mile. This offers something for everyone and a perfect way to start your Thanksgiving morning.
5. 39th Annual Alexandria, VA Turkey Trot: This 5 mile race had over 5,500 registrations last year. With a reasonable price of just $20 (cheaper for children) and an optional shirt at $10, it is a real bargain.
6. Plymouth Turkey Trot: Who wouldn't like to race in Plymouth, where the first Thanksgiving took place? A five mile race starting at 7:30 am, you will be home in plenty of time to cook and serve the Thanksgiving day feast. You will also have a photo opportunity at Plymouth rock and the Mayflower II.
7. Mile High United Way Turkey Trot: A four mile walk or run can start your day off right. This is the 41st annual race and 10,000 runners are expected to be joining this fun morning at 10:00am!
8. Dana Point Turkey Trot: This race offers a 5k, 10k and a Gobble Wobble for the kids. In it's 37th year, this popular California race is the 6th largest turkey trot in the country.
9. 28th Annual Turkey Trot, Baton Rouge: With a reasonable price of just $25, this one benefits the March of Dimes. The race starts at the convention center in downtown Baton Rouge, 7:30 am for the 1 mile run/walk and 8:00am for the 5k..
10. Capital One Bank of Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot: Runners and walkers have the choice of a 5k walk/run or an 8k run. This is the biggest turkey trot race in the country. You also can choose to have a chip timed race, or not be timed at all, taking the course at ease with your friends and family members.
Are you running a turkey trot on Thanksgiving? If so, which one?