It's Friday and once again time to link up with the girls from DC, Mar of Mar on the run, Cynthia at You signed up for what and Courtney at Eat pray, run DC. Please be sure to check out their blogs and others who are part of the link up. You may find something that would be a great addition to your own workout bag! What's in my gym bag is this week's topic and this is a "take two" for us on this subject!
My gym bag is different than most because I do not shower at the gym. Okay, now don't start thinking that I go around sweaty all day, because nope, I don't. Unless I have a quick errand or two, the shower at home is the first place I go after a workout! Before I get to the things that go in the bag, I have to choose a bag. If you have done many races, you will probably have a collection of bags just like me. I love my race/running bags and sometimes choosing which one to take to the gym is as important as what goes inside. Here are a few favorites in my collection including ones from Princess Half Marathon, Asheville Half Marathon, Divas Half Marathon and the lovely Pure Project gift bag from Brooks Running!
And here are the things I put in one of these bags when I go for a workout:
1. Pool workout: There are always goggles, hair conditioner in a small bottle and a large towel in my bag. Do you know the trick of wetting your hair and applying a small amount of conditioner to it before putting on your cap? It helps you put on the cap with ease, prevents hair breakage and keeps less chlorine getting into your hair. Win win!
2. Yoga class: Being a germaphobe, I always bring my own Yoga mat, plus a small towel and a bottle of water.
3. Fitness Room Workout: The latest issue of Runner's World magazine or Marathon and Beyond magazine. My I pod shuffle and a drink round out what I need to get me through a gym workout,.
4. Track Practice: This is probably the toughest one because I need not only my running shoes, Garmin, appropriate running attire for the weather, but a really good attitude and confidence. These workouts can be hugely challenging, and having some confidence can get you through the toughest runs. Yesterday was particularly hard, but with Mickey and Ryan running with me, we kept the designated pace and felt so good when it was completed by 7:00am!
5. Drinks: Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about hydration not taking an alcoholic beverage to the gym, pool or run practice. For some reason, I require alot of fluids and having 2 bottles in my car that include water and Nuun or Gatorade do the trick!
What is the most important item you include in your bag?