1. Putting in a new vegetable garden. I’ve always been a big fan of having a veggie garden at home and the original location I picked was that of an existing garden (read: I didn’t have to dig anything up and made my life easy) but it doesn’t get full sun. This year, I am moving it to a different section of the yard and greatly expanding it. I haven’t figured out exactly what I’ll be planting but I know it will include tomatoes, peppers (bell and hot varieties), squash and perhaps, lettuce. Given that we have mild springs and falls, the produce growing season is long in Virginia and I'm hoping to take advantage this year. My dream would be to simply stop having to buy produce at the grocery store but I’m sure that’s a big stretch.
2. Last year I was elected to the board of a local nonprofit organization. It’s been a fantastic outlet for me to get engaged in the community and a way for me to provide some of my consulting expertise for this organization. I’m helping spearhead a big upcoming fundraising campaign called Give Local, where we will be participating in an event that focuses on donations for local nonprofits. In addition to helping with ideas, I’m also the blog writer for the initiative…old habits die hard!
3. One of my favorite aspects of springtime in Hampton Roads is strawberry season. The month of May is full of events and there are plenty of local farms where you can pick your own berries. This ushers in a world of delicious treats like smoothies, shortcakes, and simply enjoying them solo.
4. I’ll be spending lots of time with family this spring. Between visiting Adam’s family in Minnesota soon (although that probably won’t feel like spring since it will still be chilly there!), hopefully seeing my folks at Easter, cheering for my two running idols at the Boston Marathon in April, and enjoying Mother’s Day with Mom at the Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend, there will be some really fun family events this spring. It’s cheesy, but the older I get, the more I treasure family time. And especially since I don’t live near family, it’s always a treat to see them.
5. I simply love to eat dinner outside. Two years ago, I bought a new patio set and it’s definitely much more comfortable and inviting. I usually try to eat dinner out as much as possible during the warm months and I often enjoy weekend breakfasts outside (generally after a long run) with the newspaper and an iced coffee.
6. Okay, I know it's Friday FIVE, but I have one more thing....spring clothes! I am so sick of my winter clothes. My wool suits, pants, tights, etc. I am over them. I want to wear my coral capris, my new black and white polka dot crop pants, and dresses without tights. I want to wear COLOR again and have it be seasonally appropriate! And let's be honest here, I want to take a spin around the mall and add some new spring duds to my wardrobe.
Go check out what other people are talking about today...I bet it has a lot to do with warmth and color! What makes your heart go pitter patter for springtime?
To all my Shamrock racing buddies, I'll be volunteering at the finish line from 7:00-12:00 on Sunday. Come say hi! I'm not certain what my role will be (likely handing out food, hats, or medals), but I would love to see you and give a high five/hug!