|Not related to starting over but a fun pic with my Chinese zodiac symbol!|
I learned quickly that those fears were unfounded. Days after applying for jobs, I landed a few interviews, and happily a few job offers. Honestly, I think I got a bit lucky that gyms were willing to talk to me despite the fact that I lack a deep fitness background. I ended up taking a position at a small boutique gym that specializes in one-on-one training. 90% of the gym's offerings are training and they have some small group workouts as well.
When I arrived at work on Monday morning at 7:00 AM, I didn't exactly know what to expect. I knew that my first week would be filled with shadowing, learning, and orientation-type activities, but the structure and specifics were not terribly clear. As I tend to like structure and knowing what to expect, I was nervous. I'm 4 days in and loving it. Yes, I'm totally overwhelmed and exhausted...there are SO many new things to learn. But the best part is that I am having a blast and really enjoying the other trainers. Fun fact, one of them trains a well-known rapper and flies all over the globe with him. I feel cool just knowing this!
|The wardrobe is pretty simple and easy!|
Hmm what else...
- My legs are exhausted every day from being on my feet for hours. For example, I was on my feet on Thursday from 5:35 AM-2:00 PM with a 45 minute break at 11:30.
- Finding a free moment to eat is hard! There are no breaks between clients so I have been making a hearty smoothie the night before and that helps fuel me until the late morning break.
- Also...finding time for bathroom breaks is hard!
- Throwing on my personal trainer t-shirt and workout pants/shorts and sneaks is a pretty sweet deal. I have bought a few more pairs of capris because we are asked to wear black or grey and I figured I could use a few more options.
- Gyms are FREEZING when you're not working out! I often run the hallway or do a few squats or jumping jacks to warm up. Or I'll jump in on a set with a client (assuming that's ok with them) to keep warm. I'm excited to get the gym hoodie!
- Getting up at the crack of dawn isn't so bad until you do it for a few days. My shift will start as early as 5:00 but I've been in the gym most mornings at 5:30 this week. Ouch! Therefore...
- I have been getting really good at prepping everything the night before. My clothes are laid out, my smoothie is blended and in the fridge, my snacks are organized in the fridge and on the counter and I get my bags organized. It's kind of a chore but it makes the mornings so much simpler and quicker.
I know that eventually the novelty of the newness will wear off and this will feel like a job eventually. I hope that I can run around the gym with a stupid grin on my face at least a few days a week. If so, I will call that a success. Until then, you can find me in the back room of the gym testing every piece of equipment I can get my hands on...
Read more about my journey to starting over:
* Where in the world is Christine the blogger?
* Funemployment in a nutshell
* Reinventing Christine
Ever started a new career in a new industry? Any advice?