For those of you who haven't had the privilege of spending the night before a race with my Mom, you haven't heard her legendary "it's race day" cry that she usually squeals when she hops out of bed on race morning. Now you understand the secondary meaning of the title of this post. But really, it is almost race day for me.
Saturday, I'll be running the Chick-fil-a 10k as my first race, post-injury. To say I'm excited is an understatement! My focus leading up to this race has been a smart approach to running. I have trained pretty conservatively and have no aspirations for a PR on Saturday, but I do have some goals.
1. Soak up the race experience. It's been about 7 months since I have toed the starting line at a race and I am so pumped! I want to revel in the spectators's cheers, thank volunteers, and soak up the running community.
2. Run smart. While I don't have a PR goal, I want to run a very well-paced race. I plan to start the first two miles at a 9-9:10 pace. The next to miles, I want to be right at 9:00, and then the last 2.2 miles, I want to test my legs and really push into 8-something pace. I love negative splitting a race so that is a big focal point for me.
3. Smile. The other day, Amy from Tiny Terror commented that her only goal for her first race back from an injury was a good race photo. And I loved that idea! While I'm not necessarily focusing on the photos, I want to smile...it relaxes you and who knows, I might get a race glamour shot!
4. Eat some Chick-fil-a! I may be a personal trainer but I still love me some Chick-fil-a. And come on people...did you really think I would want to run this race without enjoying a chicken sandwich afterwards? No way! I'm secretly (ok, I guess it's not a secret anymore) hoping that we win the free Chick-fil-a for a year raffle prize.
5. Find my groove. Racing is different than training. I haven't raced a local race in a while. I just want to feel comfortable, happy, and in the zone. Then I'll know, this phase of injury is truly in the rearview mirror.
Ok, so now let's talk about the important stuff...favorite item to get at Chick-fil-A! Mine is a toss up between nuggets, the peppermint chocolate milkshake and waffle fries...or all three!