Eat, Pray Run DC, Mar at Mar on the Run and Cynthia at You signed up for what for the Friday Five.
1. It's no secret that reading is a hobby of both of us and running books appeal to us as well as non fiction and fiction. Recently a new book was written by Amby Burfoot titled First Ladies of Running. Following the beginning of the women's running movement up until 1994 when Oprah Winfrey ran the Marine Corps Marathon, Burfoot covers the pioneers of the sport. These women made it possible for all of us to participate in a sport that used to think that women would be injured or hurt by running more that a very short sprint race. My favorite quote of the book came from Katherine Switzer:
"I think the Olympic Marathon was in many ways as important as giving women the vote. Everyone had come to accept what women could do in the social and intellectual realms, but it took the Olympic Marathon to show the entire world how physical and powerful women could be."
I am not going to spoil the book by giving details but the running profiles and experiences of 22 women are shared by the author after many emails and visits with those profiled.. Burfoot captures the personalities and struggles these women faced at a time when distance running was tabu for women.
2. Springtime in the south brings beautiful weather and multiple activity days are high on my list. Just yesterday, I spent the early morning running 400's at the track with my group followed by 9 holes of golf. And that was topped off with a short ride on the boat. Sunshine definitely keeps us outside.
3. While ice cream is always a staple in my freezer, some new flavors have recently appeared at my grocery store that I am very excited about! Graeters brand is also new to me and it is a superior brand that uses ingredients free of artificial ingredients, colors etc. If I am going to eat ice cream, it might as well be the good stuff! Unfortunately, I consider a pint container a serving for one! Anyone else do this?
4. Orange Theory Fitness was on my radar since February when a studio was announced in our town. They finally opened at the end of April and the workouts are every bit as intense as I was told they would be. Since I run only three days per week, an option for either an elliptical machine or a stationary bike is available during the cardio session of the workout. Having rowing machines as part of the workout as well as a weight session gives you a fantastic hour that leaves you pretty sweaty and exhausted. Once a week is my current attendance and that will change based on my training plan.
5. Maybe this is becoming a broken record, but my favorite summer footwear is Oofos. My collection has grown and just recently I received a pair of the Oolala's after winning them on Twitter. This collection/obsession is keeping my feet in good shape due to the great support they give your arches. Flip flops can cause many foot issues if you wear them frequently and living in North Carolina means sandals and flip flops are my everyday footwear for nine months of the year. My large collection of flipflops is now ignored since I discovered Oofos. And if you have not tried Oofos, you are missing out! My local Fleet Feet carries them and they are also available at many large race expos.
Do you have any springtime favorites to share? We always love recommendations for races, food, clothing etc.